Sunday, March 31, 2019

Review Makita 12 inch Sliding Miter Saw


I'm here in the Colfax high wood shop this is my sliding compound 12 inch miter saw and it's a double bevel so it goes both ways I've had this for quite a few years this is a Dewalt DW 708 I've been very happy with it it's where great student shave used it really well but there was a few problems that I've been having with it mostly the electrical and the brake so I was going to replace it.  I was going to replace it with the same 12 inch to saw however I ran into an old student of mine who's a finish carpenter and he said I should replace it with the Makitaso I ended up doing that I bought the Makita DXT this is a LS 12 19 L and we're going to set it up today and I'll give you a review on how much I like it and the better features this newer one has vs.  the old one. reading the directions good safety checkthe blade on, how's it for tabletop height compared to the fence?it's a little bit higher than that that's what you want you want it just a little bit Sarma Peeta you gotta go zero blood on the bottom a little bit super nice super nice ah we've made a few cuts on it so far seems really accurate checked them with the square a couple things I really like a lot about it over the other one is that it actually has almost a 17-inch cut capacity it has a deeper cut capacity the minors are greater you can actually go to sixty degrees this way and this way that's a gigantic add right there a couple of the features over here that I like a lot this is just like a toe it's running on the tracks here and if you want to lock it for travel that's a lock button right there don't want travel there's also a lot of button right here so you could lock it out pull it down and lock it I like that actually the safety feature as well so when you it'snot a noose you can lock it down and have the blade fully covered the dust collection on this is substantially better there's both rubber scoop down here and a pipe off the top and they come together and the t-junction right here I still need to add another pipe to our central vac but I think dust collection on is going to be much better I think I like the laser guard on it here's the laser it's on/off switch so there's a laser there's a fine adjustment on the laser so you can put on either side of the line the cutting itself is really nice watch how quickly it breaks I really like this a lot it sounds really quick I think there's actually less blade exposed so we've only used it really opened it up today and got it going today but so farre views are really big you know we mill our own oak slabs and those are really big hard cuts I do like the idea that is a 15 amp motor and it does have a direct drive so here's the motor it's actually shaft driven instead of the belt drive so I think it's going to work out really well so I'll keep you posted but my my review is I like it I like the versatility of it the larger cutting capacities and the increase in safety from the old one more features we've been using this for another day or two it's working out really well a couple things I want to go over one was it came from the factory these are my beautiful woodpeckers square here it came from the factory perfectly square and horizontal and you can see putting this on there is nice to see the laser guide as well and then it's also square and vertical it's actually nice couple other features on here is bevel before you change the bevel on here you want to remove the high fences there's how when it's in the back and the high fences come out to the bevel this is a lock on the bevel so you want to loosen this lock up right her eif I wanna do a left-hand bevel I pull this little plastic tab up and lock it in up so it stays up and then that'll bevel it left then it has detents yea hall right so there's D 10 to 22 and a half so it has multiple differentdetents where you can lock it and then wherever you so if you're doing a 22 and a half bevel and it's locked in there you still use this to get it really secure and then unlock this and then move it back and then the right-hand bevel is just detent is a push button here so you get a push in this and that's your right hand level with the same locking detents and then once you once it's locked in place lock it tighter there that's the bevel both left and right hand bubbles they're fixed stops in there and detent on good measurements another feature that's super cool it's back in this is really a cool future here so this is a fine stop here on your depth of cut if you want to use this for cutting dedos or rabbit sthe way you do that is you pull this tab over and then this is now stopping it so you can see right here I'm like I don't know a half inch up and then the adjustment on that is you know this will make it go deeper clockwise when they could go shallower okay this adjustment right here is your overall cut depth soI have this tab out to this stop stop on it but it's not going to go all the way back through the fence so I do need a spacer board I'm gonna take a space of ward place it here I should clamp this down my clam which I want to clamp this down and then now I'm still holding it I'm gonna cut cut there I can loosen this up a little bit go over make another cut and keep working it down so I'm able to cut NATO's with this sliding chop saw I could make really nice dedos using that flick stop on the top and the wall does data I just slide this back in all the way back down a lot of great futures I'm really liking this does the 15 inch crosscut look had a 8 inch crown on here the 8 inch is the longest route so all in all this has been a great review we've been using it for a few days now I just keep discovering more and more features on it the students use it pretty hard and just holding up well and it's holding true but then vertical bevel and true and the miter as well students are using it we've got a couple days with it working great discovering more and more cool features I really like that dado robin ability with it and the double lock on the bevels that's going to come in a handy.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for information. It's nice to be able to replace saws rarely instead of frequently.

    Check out Economy and Stock Market News. Read interesting latest news about world, business, investments, marketing, advertising, funny moments and more. Take a look at Canada Forums for interesting Canadian news.

    ReplyDelete